Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some quality time with Google

I've explored Google Docs off and on.  I like the idea of one space for students to keep documents because of the problems that arise with "I saved it at home" or those students that keep saving their documents to the desktop (not their drives) only to have the wiped off at night.  Unfortunately my school has a pretty strict policy for student emails and that looks to be the only way to set up an account.  I think I need to check and see the exact extent of our email policy.  We've also had problems with Google, especially Images, slipping things through our filter.  On the plus side I can see its uses for the professional side of teaching.  I like the collaboration abilities and the forms.  I can actually see how the forms will simplify the Secret Santa process for our social committee, so I need to pass that along.

I get more excited about Google Earth all the time.  I love the link to the Complete List of Google Earth Activities.  Even though all of the activities I looked at were college level, the ideas can be modified for middle school.  I really like the idea of a scavenger hunt, especially for Washington state geography.  Unfortunately this is in my teaching partner's area but the more the merrier when working with web tools! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment