Sunday, July 24, 2011

Class final project

I created a wiki for my classroom (I teach math and science). I've put what I think I'll link on the home page. The Science page is the most evolved, this is an idea I've had for some time. I tried to embed the video and it looked like it worked the first time, but when I checked back it was gone so I linked it in. I'd like to expose my students to science in the news and famous scientists and then have students discuss and reflect in the Discussion area. The Links page is also something I've wanted to do for some time as well. Every year at conferences I have parents ask how they can help their students with math and now I have a spot that they can go to for examples. We also have books with internet components and this is a central location for both classes. My only question right now is how to give students and parents access to the ed. wikispaces. This is actually a public copy of the one I created in the ed portion of wikispaces. Here's the link -- http://jones-webtools.wikispaces.com/message/list/8th+Grade+Science

2 comments:

  1. Christine

    It looks as thouh you have a great start on your wiki. There are a number of ways you can give access to the wiki space: 1. send home a letter explaining what it is an how it will be used. 2. Attach a link to your schools webpage. 3. Send an email to all parents. 4. Make the wiki access public and monitor closely.
    Kristian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just need to play with edu version a little more. There are some parents in our population who don't want student work and names published on the internet, so I thought that the edu version would allow more students to participate. I'm definitely linking it to my section of our school website. I was going to try a web page this year but I think that a wiki might be more flexible.

    ReplyDelete