Friday, July 29, 2011

Setting the Stage Revision

When this class began I was knee deep in promotion celebrations, field trips, cleaning--in general all of the things that go with the last two weeks of school.  This should explain why I don't have an initial setting the stage post, it got lost in the scramble.  I'll do my best to bridge the gap from this end of the course.  I found this class initially frustrating because nothing was working for me.  This has been my general experience with technology--I have an idea where I want to go but it seems like it's always five steps back to fix the things I need to have before I can move forward.  Things got fixed and I started to work my way through the technology. 

There are some things I really like, some that are interesting, and some that I can't think of a use for yet.  I'm more receptive to things like this when I can see their practical application, not just doing tech for tech's sake.  Happily I see more and more applications for web tools within my teaching.  Just in the past week I've expanded my skills to making a fairly complex Prezi and creating a movie/assessment using a flip camera and Windows movie maker.  I'm still surprised at how well that worked.  I still like the idea of a wiki (my final project) but I may explore Edmodo and see if it will lend itself to my needs for next year.  I still need to try out Jing and Screencasting but I think that part of my trepidation is just the recording and sound.  It reminds me of long ago when I worked for the Forest Service and it was always hard to talk on the radio for the first few times.  I think I'll get there, just not yet.  I'm glad I took this class, I think that it will make me a better 21st century school marm.

1 comment:

  1. I am answering your question you posted in your comment on my blog (looking at my wiki...final project). I have not made and links for math... but I intend to make a resources folder for math too! I want it to be a place I (or other teachers or students) can access all in one place so they don't have to have a zillion logins to try to remember... I also want to try to develop a Current Events for math on the wiki... but as you know, work in progress! I am impressed with your persistance after reading through you final thoughts (technology glitches, etc.) It can be very discouraging to stick with learning new technology when you run into roadblocks. Many of my colleagues are too quick to give it up when they get in the situation you were in... so kuddos to you! Enjoy the rest of your summer and hope you have an exciting school year!

    ReplyDelete